Monday, July 29, 2024

Knitted stuff

Yesterday was a recuperation day for me.  I didn't do a lot, just a little gardening in the early part of the day.  I sat down to watch Love of Quilting on TV along with a Hallmark mystery, something I rarely do.  I did some hand sewing of the Dresden Plate blocks I started last week.  And I wove lose ends of knitting things that will be going to kids in foster care eventually.

The "wave" scarf is made with a variety of colors, including shades of purple and brown and is quite long.  If I ever make another, using the technique called "short row knitting," I'll use a continuous couple of skeins of variegated yarn.  Adding the different colors was just a pain as all the additions and subtractions needed weaving in to finish.  But I do like the way it turned out.

The hat should fit ages 18 mos. to 4 years, but it's almost big enough to fit any kid's head.  Paul thinks it's appropriate for both boys and girls, but I imagine a little boy wearing it.  I bought several skeins that blue DK weight washable wool fully intending to make myself a sweater.  But then I realized I didn't have the stamina or interest to knit one.  So I've made lots of blue hats in the last couple of years.  I have a batch of other ends and pieces of yarn that I am hoping to make a few more hats out of this year, and yesterday I started one using remnant of cotton/acrylic blend variegated yarn.  It should go fairly quickly as it's for ages up to 18 mos.

This morning I'll head down to the library to meet the recycling crew which will take our 100 boxes of leftover books from the book sale.  I'll stop at the grocery store for milk and bread on my way home, and then I'll make a chicken salad for dinner.  This afternoon, I'll get together as usual with librarian friends around the country via Zoom.  They always have good suggestions for books, movies, etc. and there will surely be some discussion of politics.  In between, I'll probably put in a little time machine quilting a little Christmas quilt.

No comments: