Monday, April 29, 2024

The cut-a-thon

This was a busy weekend, and thank goodness I have a bit of a breather today.  I made some granola, did a load of wash, took a walk with Paul, and did a little hand sewing with some hexies (not my favorite thing to do) - all before lunch.

The library booksale went well Friday and Saturday, and we got things picked up by 2 pm Saturday when the library was about to close.  My feet were tired, but it was very nice out, so Paul and I sat in the rockers on the back porch for a while.   The weather couldn't have been better.  Our neighbor Carol stopped by for a nice chat, and then it was time for dinner (salmon - easy).

Yesterday morning, I did a little cleaning and then we moved furniture to set up several areas for the cut-a-thon in the afternoon.  Five friends from the state quilt guild came and, between us, we cut out pieces for a quilt to travel the state and be raffled off in 2025.  It's a disappearing nine patch with teal accents, gray scraps and mottled black.  It should be very pretty when finished.   

I set up a card table in the living room, cleaned off a kitchen counter, and took everything off the dining room table.  Soni brought this interesting slotted ruler that allows one to cut long strips and then cut those into squares.  We needed 144 black squares and those were cut in no time.  I enjoyed cutting with my own ruler on the kitchen counter and wish I could do it all the time - no bending!  

We then put enough cut fabric for six disappearing nine patch blocks into six baggies with the directions.  Everyone took one, and we will save one for a person who couldn't come.   We were done in an hour and a half, and that included a little chatting about various issues here and there.  Quite a productive crew!

No comments: