Sunday, September 29, 2024

Quilt shows and "potato chip" blocks


Thursday I took two quilts with hanging sleeves to the library to be hung where the AIDS quilt panels were.  I'm not sure how they'll get them up there.  The space on the older brick wall of the building and visible from the new art is huge.  They say they have a volunteer handy man who doesn't mind climbing.   

I think the quilts (Harriet's Journey and Hanky Quilt #2) will be a little small for the space, but I had only one larger quilt with a hanging sleeve.  I'll work on another one this week and swap them out in another month or so.  Both are older and used to be on beds in our B&B.


It never rains, but it pours! On Friday, I had a call from the Barre Opera House asking me if I could show some of my quilts in the lobby for about six weeks.    I had a show there one summer maybe ten years ago.  They have a lot of events planned this season and a very empty (dull) lobby.  The catch:  I need to hang the quilts this week.  

Yesterday I got out all the smaller wall hangings and curtain rods and dowels I have.  Paul cut one dowel to fit a small wool appliqued piece.  We will try hanging everything on Tuesday.  I'm excited!  Today I'll get the steamer out to work on one quilt that's very crumpled (shown here without wrinkles).

Meanwhile, I've been cutting 2" x 3.5" rectangles for "potato chip" blocks to go around the Dresden Plate quilt that was in timeout in the closet.  I need 24 for the next border and am having fun putting them together.  It's going to be quite colorful.  The final border will be a wide, plain print to bring the quilt up to about 72" square.  

No comments: