Sunday, September 15, 2024

Sunny days

Good morning, friends!  Although it's been sunny and in the 70s, I've been recovering from a bad cold so moving a bit slowly.  The cold is finally gone - no more kleenex sticking out of pockets and sleeves, no more cough drops in every room, no more deciding about meds to help me sleep.  Paul had the same cold (or maybe it was COVID?  we never tested), so we've had company at least.  On the occasions when I had some energy, I worked on Light Up the Library preparations for the Friends of the Library - updating the mailing list, organizing committees, and writing the letter to donors.  The mailing list is almost ready for Nancy to generate mailing labels.  This year, I'm hoping to share the load as much as possible so that I can move on to non-Friends projects (like quilting).  Our little committee will get together soon to put the mailing together.

I did do some sewing every day, though.  Most of last week, I made string triangles in blues and neutrals when I felt like it.  Yesterday I went to the Calico County Quilters group for a two hour hand sewing session.  I finished a lily block that may become the beginning of a new medallion quilt and did a bit of Sashiko.  It's always nice to sit and sew with this little group while we catch up on each other's lives.

This past week, I got my Dear Jane background fabrics out and started on Row G.  I have quilted Rows A-C and have Rows D-F put together and now ready to sash and quilt.  I'll do that as soon as the Row G blocks are finished.  This row contains the very difficult G-6 block with a five pointed star and a little star in the middle.  I don't know why Betsy Ross suggested five pointed stars to George Washington - they are so hard to get even!  But, according to Wikipedia, no one really knows how the stars became five pointed.  Maybe it wasn't Betsy's idea after all.

At any rate, I had to add some coping strips to my star block and once again thought about what an amazing seamstress Jane Stickle was.  How many blocks or partial blocks did she throw away during the process of making her masterpiece?  None, I bet, since it was "in war time."  

No comments: