Monday, October 7, 2024

Bow ties

Earlier this year, I participated in a bow tie block swap with some online quilting friends.  Most swapped two blocks, but Debbie and I exchanged ten with each other.   These 8" blocks were incredibly each to make, and a lot of fun to arrange.  I'm curious to see how Debbie arranged her blocks.

I finished putting the blocks together and got them ready to quilt last weekend, and this Saturday I finished quilting the little quilt which is destined for Bags of Love.  The binding has been sewn to one side, and, because it's raining today, I'll probably get it sewn to the other side today.

I have a few small quilt projects to work on after that, but I am nearing the end of a good book, too, so I'm not sure how I'll spend the rest of my day.  Yesterday I tried a new recipe for baked chicken breast which involved brining briefly and a rub.  It was a huge success, and we have quite a bit left to enjoy this week in a chef's salad and maybe enchiladas.  This means I'll spend a little time in the kitchen today, too.

I had hoped to do some more yard work, but it looks a bit too wet out.  I edged a little bed around the birch tree in our front yard.  It was a bit difficult due to all the roots there, but I am hoping to get some bulbs in before mulching for the winter.  I also need to trim the hydrangeas out back.  The tag on the bush said it was a "mini," but it has turned out to be "maxi" and needs human intervention to stay in its spot.  The flowers have surprised me by slowly turning from white to burgundy, so I've been a bit slow to remove them.

No comments: