Tuesday, May 7, 2024

Blocks of the month

Yesterday, I put pedal to the metal and worked on some blocks of the month.  It always feels good to get those out of the way and then work more in depth with one or two big projects.  The local guild's block of the month was called "Work basket," although it looks like "Bento Box" to me.

We were to use white for the background and a pastel for the other color.  I'm going to take the green one to guild for the lottery and keep the peachy one for myself.  This was quite an easy block although my first attempt didn't turn out so good.  It's sitting in time out (a pizza box in the closet) with the other orphan blocks.

Next up was a 16" purple block for the Barn Star Sampler BOM, led by Abigail Dolinger.   I found this one a bit tricky in that one needs to watch the direction of pressing in order for seams to nest.  I actually pressed one set of seams open in order to make it all lie flat.

This Barn Star Sampler is going to be very pretty and will end up throw sized.  I do have a lot of small cutoff corners from various blocks that I have sewn together as half-square triangles.  Hoping I'll have enough for the borders by the time I'm finished.

I laid out the log cabin blocks I've been making and swapping this year, but three of them haven't arrived yet.  I might need to make a few more to get a human-sized quilt.  Because my Manx blocks are also going into this quilt, I need to make four more to go with the 25 or so I made or received in the swap.


No comments: