Saturday, December 24, 2022

My appliqued piece


I've been thinking about a name for this appliqued piece, which I was happy to finish binding this week in between holiday preparations.   It started out as a neutral string background that had hung around for a long time, waiting for just the right thing to applique onto it.   I had thought of a basket of bright flowers, but I just never got serious about finding or creating a pattern.

Last spring a guild member showed an antique quilt she had found, and I finally knew just what I wanted to do.  The blocks in her quilt were about 18", and my melon shapes are a little larger resulting in a 24" x 24" piece.  But the colors are very similar.  I love pink and blue together.  I hand appliqued the melons mostly at my Saturday sewing group meetings this year; then I echo quilted around and inside the shapes using a walking foot.  I love the way it turned out.  The quilting smoothed out all the bulges that often appear in string quilts so that it lies relatively flat.

Since I started appliqueing this wall hanging, I've amassed quite a few "strings" which I hope to put together this year, maybe alternating the neutrals with the colored blocks.   But that's another thing to think about in 2023!

No comments: