Saturday, September 26, 2026

A couple of baby quilts

Because we aren't down in Maryland for my high school reunion this weekend, I decided to work on a couple of baby quilts for Bags of Love.  The group has been calling for smaller quilts as there seem to be more babies going into foster care lately.  (Very sad!)  Both of these measure about 36" x 36".

I had two Rainbow Scrap Challenge projects that I wanted to end, so I used blocks from those to make the quilts.  First, was a set of improvisational houses using a Jo Avery pattern.  It was very confusing, and I groaned every time I got it out.  Quilting is a hobby and should not cause anxiety!   I had five in my project box and made one more.


I enjoyed quilting each house a little differently and using larger scraps to finish.

Next, I got out some blocks called "Traffic Stop" by Pat Sloan.  I liked making these blocks because I mostly used squares that I had already cut from my 2" square box.  The blocks were 9" finished.


I just quilted this quilt very simply - a larger diagonal grid.  I used the same dark gray binding for both quilts which I'll take to the quilt shop this week along with another throw quilt and a little baby-sized knit hat.  I want to make a few more hats now that the weather is turning.

Later in the afternoon, since Paul is feeling better, our neighbors Gale and Alan came over for snacks and a wide-ranging chat.  I feel so lucky that they moved in next door three summers ago.  We get along well, and in the winters, since our garages are attached, we hop from one to the other to get together in the evenings sometimes.  

And even later in the evening, friends in Maryland were having dinner and decided to call me to say they miss seeing me.  I was happy to chat with them and hope we can get down to visit sometime in the not-to-distant future.


No comments: