Wednesday, August 14, 2024

Binding is on!

Yesterday I did a few errands in the morning - bank, grocery store - and also some housekeeping.  No laundry for once!  We took a walk in filtered sunshine.  It has been a bit cloudy these last few days, and I discovered it is due to wildfires somewhere up in Canada.  

I managed to cut, sew, iron, and sew on a binding for the purple Barn Star Sampler.   Today I'll start the laborious hand sewing to the back.  Most of my quilts are given to charity so I machine sew both sides.  But this one will be for sale on etsy as my stock there is a bit thin and needs a boost.  I'll do its photoshoot when I'm done.  

It was a block of the month I started in January, but as usual I got impatient this summer and decided to work ahead.  My friend Marie also worked on one but made hers bigger.  The quilt finishes to an odd size - long and skinny - so I made the throw size and added a border.  I can't wait to see hers.

I wanted to make something different and easy for dinner, so I cut up strips of chicken breast, browned it in olive oil, sprinkled a little garlic powder and minced onion over top, and poured a jar of Newman's Own Mango Salso over it all.  I let that simmer for 45 minutes and served it over rice.  Paul said it was a keeper, and we have some leftover for Thursday's dinner.  Tonight I'll make some salmon patties early, and we'll head downtown for the last summer author talk at the library.  We are both reading Gather by last week's author, Ken Cadow, a finalist for the National Book Award. 

No comments: