Sunday, August 11, 2024

Testing out a pattern

My friend Debbie in Indiana is always up for a block swap.  Last spring, she suggested a bow tie block swap, so we narrowed the size down to 8" squares because two fit neatly into an envelope with a first class postage stamp.  She and I exchanged ten blocks each and mailed two to each other participant.  Yesterday I laid the blocks I had out and sewed a few rows together. The swap doesn't end until September, and I'm waiting for one or two blocks from one person.  So I put it on a hanger in the closet for a while.  I may also make a few more to get a twin-sized quilt.

Meanwhile, Debbie and I are testing possibilities for another swap.  More people signed up for the bowties because they were easy.  I saw a very nice scrap buster this week which she and I each made.  I'm not sure the other folks in our swap group will be interested, so maybe it will be a project for just Debbie and me.  But this modern looking block is really easy and addictive to make.

The "Butterflies are Free" pattern includes 6 plain 3.5" background squares and 10 background squares with 2.5" squares sewn on the diagonal for a 12" square.  I had a lot of leftover gray pieces and a growing box of precut 2.5" squares to use and ended up making three blocks in a short time.  These made a table runner with some Tula Pink zebra fabric for the back.  It has a modern feel to it and may just catch the eye of someone at the florist shop.   I'll take it down to sell this coming week along with the blue star table runner I made a few weeks ago.

Debbie also made a very pretty block using a cream background and bright blue and yellow batiks.  We will check soon with the swap group to see if they want to swap these blocks in the next few months.   Postage has been a problem for some, yet we still have active participants from London and Ontario, along with members from the US.  If they aren't interested, Debbie and I may swap all by ourselves, or we may do something else.

I made one more 12" block, and now I'm out of larger scraps of gray except the solid gray.   I'll turn my attention to a few other projects for a while.   Yesterday at the Calico County Quilters sewing session, I applique a couple of half Dresden Plates and almost finished a whole one for the Lily of the West small quilt I'm making using the Flora line by Riley Blake.  Today I'll be paper piecing some butterflies to go with the plates, and I'll probably make some oatmeal blueberry muffins, too.  Hope you're having a nice Sunday!

No comments: