Tuesday, August 27, 2024

On to another UFO

I ended up adding a 4" border of scrappy, variable nine patch blocks to Lily of the West and putting it in time out (the closet) for a while.  I'll think about the next border(s) to finish it while I work on Green Beans and Sweet Tea which I started in September.   This is a Jen Kingwell pattern that I was attracted to due to the mix of applique and piecing.  It is really meant for hand sewing.   I have got stalled on this one which may be my last Kingwell design.  There are just too many other quilts I'd like to make, some easier, some more striking, although I do enjoy working on samplers over time.

I had really been struggling to sew the hexies together into an 8" x 12" block, even with my magnifying glasses on.  I finally just appliqued them by machine onto a piece of background fabric using a small zigzag stitch.  I don't think I'll be making anything with hexies any time soon (if ever!).  I like the blocks I've managed to put together, including the cute wool applique.

The piece now measures about 40" x 42", and I'm aiming for a small throw.  I could make a bigger checkerboard of 2.5" scraps around the whole quilt, but I'd also like to frame it all with a darker, more solid 6" (or so) pieced border.  I will play around with a few ideas today - piano keys? drunkard's path? rail fence?

After the morning fog clears, I will take the Barn Star Sampler outside for a photo shoot so I can list it on etsy.  My offerings need refreshing there, and with Christmas on the horizon, I need to make and add a few table runners soon.

No comments: