Wednesday, August 21, 2024

The new quilt

I've been working on my Lily of the West quilt this week, using a bundle of fat quarters in the Riley Blake line called "Flora."  I love the fabric with its pink, yellow, periwinkle, green, and black colorways.  They called "Dresden Plate" to me, and the resulting plates worked out well.  I paper pieced (ugh!) some butterflies for the corners, and now the quilt is 30" square.  

My dilemma:  what to do around that 30" square?  Do I just finish it off with a couple more borders?  Do I piece around it?  How big do I want this quilt to be?  

Yesterday, after getting the center square all finished, I made one lily block using a pattern I found at the Fat Quarter Shop's website.  It finished at 14" square and wasn't that hard to make, but I do I really want to make a lot more?  Should I only make one for each corner?  If so, what should I put in between?   And do I really want to add 14" all around?  I'm not sure, but I do plan to applique the stem down.  Maybe it'll find a place on the back, and maybe I'll figure out how to work one in each corner with something in between.

Right now, I'm thinking about adding a 6" border using all of the colors in the bundle?    Visions of log cabin, card trick, rail fence, and other multicolored blocks woke me up at 3 am.   I will play around with those today, and most likely put the lily block on the back burner for now.   Stay tuned!

No comments: