Monday, September 13, 2010

Busy time

Local politics, new beginnings, and meetings are keeping us running these days. As I write this, Paul is at the post office mailing a banjo to England. Our collection of boxes is diminished slightly since he has been working hard to sell banjos, ukuleles and parts this summer. I can actually find the tool box in the garage now. When he gets back, I'll jump in the car to go to the copy shop to enlarge a pattern I need to applique a border on the new pink and purple quilt. I was struggling with the shapes when I noticed, in tiny print, that each should be enlarged 200%. That should help!

Saturday, I went to a town Democratic committee meeting, then home to make lunch for the folks working on the cob shed roof. I'd been told there'd be vegans, so I included some tabouli, pitas, and hummus along with the chard quiche, zucchini bread, and Oreos. When I came to pick up the dishes after my quilt guild meeting, one of the guys asked if I had made Middle Eastern food to commemorate 9/11. It hadn't even occurred to me, but we had the left overs for dinner later, too. With all the brouhaha about building mosques and burning the Quran, maybe that was just the thing to do. The shed roofing proceeds very slowly, BTW, due to the rain and gloom we typically have in the fall. One of the workers had a hammock that he slept in at the site Fri. and Sat. nights, but it was gone Sun. when it started drizzling.

My Saturday quilt guild met for its first meeting of the school year, and we planned a few meetings ahead. I'm looking forward to the January meeting when we'll each bring an ugly and a lovely fat quarter to exchange and make small quilts with. We can only add two other fabrics for a real challenge.

Yesterday, we went to a family brunch at Pat and Jay's to celebrate Jay's 76th birthday and, later in the day, to a reception at Maplecroft to kick off Tess' re-election campaign for Vermont House. The rest of this week will be taken up by meetings for Paul, a pot luck supper for the library Friends, and a dinner at the Old Labor Hall needing set up/take down/cleaning over the weekend. In between, I'll get my threads in and will be thankful to have opportunities to just sit.

No comments: