Saturday, October 23, 2010

Fresh apple cake

This fall I've been experimenting with various apple cake recipes. I made one to take to the Friends' potluck early in Sept. It was the kind with caramel frosting and WAY too sweet. I did a little web search for recipes, but finally ended up adapting the one right on the back of my favorite cookbook The Bakery Lane Soup Bowl Cookbook, published right here in Vermont by two ladies who used to own a great soup restaurant in Middlebury. Everything I make out of this book turns out great. I did add the raisins and a little more spice to the original. Also, I use the apple skin and all. Here's the recipe.

FRESH APPLE CAKE

Preheat oven to 325 degrees and grease/flour a 9 x 13" pan.

Mix together:
2 1/3 c. flour
2 c. sugar (a mix of white and brown is nice)
1 t. baking soda
3/4 t. salt
1 t. cinnamon
1/2 t. nutmeg
1/4 t. ground cloves

Add:
1/2 c. chopped walnuts (or a little more)
1 c. raisins

Grate 3-4 apples, skin and all, to come up with 3 c. apples. (Paula Reds, Macoun, Macintosh are all good)
Mix together 1/2 c. oil and 2 beaten eggs
Alternately add the apples and oil mixture to the dry ingredients. Mix well.

Pour into pan and bake 45-60 min. til done in the middle. Allow to cool and sprinkle with powdered sugar.

1 comment:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

sounds wonderful! I love just about anything with apples and was thinking of making a pie tomorrow.
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/