Wednesday, August 20, 2014

"Around the World" baby quilt

I finished quilting this baby quilt a few days ago but it was so gloomy we couldn't get a good picture.  It includes swap blocks from Australia, Canada, England, and around the US, thus "around the world."  It's a fun swap because I sent fabric to each person who made a block that signified her.  My choice this year was "Yankee puzzle," because I'm a Dutch-Indonesian immigrant who grew up in Maryland but has lived in New England for over 35 years! 

I quilted this on my home machine beginning with a grid and then adding little touches to the individual blocks.  I also added a few basket blocks, just to get it up to crib size.


I'll be participating in another around the world swap in 2015 and think I'll be making "Sisters Choice" blocks this time in honor of my two sisters - Jenny in Colorado and Jacqueline in the Netherlands.  The blocks will be 9" finished size this year, so drafting that particular block will be interesting.  I'm planning a blue and white quilt for myself this time, using fabrics I received from Carol.

No comments: