Sunday, April 19, 2015

Busy, sunny days

This morning was sunny, the perfect time for picture taking.  Paul is finishing up work on a new book, so we went to the Green Mount Cemetery in Montpelier so I could take an author picture of him sitting on a bench by one of his subjects' graves.  I took a few photos with my phone along with the new digital camera, but photos from the latter were much clearer. 

On the way home, we stopped at the hardware store for new loppers, and I went to town on one of our burning bushes.  Ever since I learned that they are an invasive species, I have been lopping away at these two bushes.  According to Wikipedia, it is illegal for nurseries to sell them anymore in NH and MA.  Apparently, they spread by their roots as well as via tiny seeds the birds carry and drop, and they crowd out native habitats.  Unfortunately for us, the bushes were here long before we moved in, and have become real sources of privacy on our back porch.  They need to stay, but they do need to be under a bit more control. 

I have the smaller bush in hand with fairly regular pruning each spring.  Last year, I started working on the bigger bush, taking out dead branches and cutting back here and there at the center.  Today I was a bit more drastic and hope that will help encourage growth all over. 

My Fitbit is smiling after this morning's exercise, so I guess that allows me to go sew!  Yesterday, I put the binding on the second quilt I got back from the quilter.  I need to make a label for it and then I'm going to put together Sarah's Sampler in oranges and grays.  That will be about 36" x 36" - just right for another Parkinsons comfort quilt.  Hope you are enjoying a lovely Sunday, too.

No comments: