Monday, July 10, 2017

Sharing a couple of photos

I have been working on the guild "block robin" blocks I received in June lately.  Last year, I got about 4 yards of a pink and purple batik.  Half went into the block robin bag along with some purple and hot pink scraps and fat quarters.  I kept the other half to make blocks of the month.  Now I have 30 blocks, for a 5' x 6' quilt, which is a little too small.  So I'm making 13 more blocks this week.  Hope to get them done by the weekend so I can put them together.  We'll see!

Meanwhile, my brother Rob was here over the weekend.  I cleaned my sewing room up so he could sleep in it.  We had a great time, hiking, roaming around downtown, and just catching up.  I had been waiting for another tall person to come and help Paul hold up the 365-challenge-inspired quilt I finished a while ago so that I could take a picture.   Every time Chris comes, I forget or it's raining.

This quilt is made using all blue and green scraps which I thought would deplete my stash.  Unfortunately, the bins are just as full as ever!  I like that large star block which came from a tutorial at the Missouri Star site.  It was easy to make - although of course Jenny Doan uses a jelly roll for hers.

I like quilting medallion quilts because you can anchor the rounds and then work on each round separately.  This fits a double bed, so it did take some time to finish quilting.  

I also had the guys hold up the crib-sized quilt I made using swapped heart blocks.   I enjoyed quilting this one, one block at a time.  The sashing is pieced using two mini charm packs and some additional 2.5" squares that I cut in pastel colors.  I plan to add both of these quilts to the etsy shop initially and then, if they don't sell, take the heart block to the hospital's children's department.

I'm not sure if I'll quilt the pink batik quilt myself or send it off for quilting.  Because it's a sampler, I think it will look good with an overall, edge-to-edge design.  If I do quilt it myself, I think it will be easier to do in sections.  Will have to wait until all the blocks are finished and I decide on a final layout.

I sent Rob home with my modern Tequilla Sunrise quilt for his office.  It is always nice to reduce my stash of quilts!


1 comment:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

the quilts all look nice and hope you have luck with your Etsy shop, I'm sure you had a good visit with your brother too