Wednesday, March 14, 2018

Yet another snow day

We have had three big snowstorms in the last three weeks, which is nice for sewing and reading.  But it does get old after a while.  Over the last 24 hours, we've had about 18" of snow, although someone nearby reported 24"  I guess it's all in how one measures.  Suffice it to say, we have been marooned!

Yesterday, I decided to start a new project, and I finished it this morning.  It is my project for the guild "paint chip challenge."
At the first guild meeting of the school year, anyone who wanted to participate drew three paint chips from a paper bag.  Mine were light blue, medium blue, and lime green, all colors I like to work with.  Lo and behold, the "free" table that night had a beautiful floral with all three colors.  We can add only two other colors to our finished project.

Ideas have been percolating for months, and I initially thought I'd make a pineapple mini.  But I realized the floral wouldn't show up very well, so I settled on a 12" piece made of 3" snowball blocks. 

I love finishing a project so quickly!  The top was done yesterday morning, and today I quilted and bound it.  I used a walking foot to quilt a concentric square.  What appears a little shadowy in this photo is the quilting.   The "reveal" isn't until May or June, so I feel like I am really on top of things!

To celebrate, I'm baking an apple cake and planning on tacos for dinner.  Yum!  We have to do everything we can to lift our spirits during this endless winter.

1 comment:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I hope this is the last winter storm for you - that is a lot of snow on the ground!