Tuesday, October 8, 2019

A rainy day

It was a very gloomy, rainy day yesterday.  So gloomy that we had to turn on lights whenever we moved into another room.  I sewed another Long Time Gone quilt block in the morning while also making some bread.  I used leftover mashed potatoes and the usual white bread ingredients in my bread machine to mix and knead and for the first rise.  Then I removed it from the machine, shaped, rose, and baked it in the oven.  I find I can control the rise better so that the bread doesn't  collapse during baking in the machine.
I've also found I can bake two smaller loaves by using the large loaf cycle.   If I were to try to bake this size in the machine, it most likely would touch the "roof" of the machine.   One of the loaves has gone into the freezer but probably will come out in a few days.  I do like making bread although I notice that our consumption of butter rises proportionately!  It made a great turkey sandwich and should toast up well.

No comments: