Saturday, July 24, 2010

Whole lotta quiltin' goin' on

I started this very busy week by finishing a bathmat/small beach towel (using an old Maplecroft towel) for Yve's new grandson Noah. She sent me the fabric with its two-by-two animals, and it turned out really cute. I hope she likes it. I listened to a Librivox recording of Persuasion by Jane Austen while working on this, and it was really fun.
Wednesday, I delivered three small quilts to the Mad River charity quilt auction, to be held this fall. One is from a pattern called "Ivy Twist" and was the "sit 'n' quilt" quilt at the Central Vermont Quilt Show this spring. There were two almost identical 36" square Sunbonnet
Sue log cabin quilts which I quilted a little differently just for fun.


Meanwhile, I've been working steading to quilt the Rainbow Sylvia's Bridal Sampler. I put the blocks together in three strips so they'd be easier to quilt. Now I'm putting the strips together, and it is looking good. I quilted each block a little differently which has made it fun. I used mostly off-white thread for quilting, but some blocks demanded color from my box of varied rayon threads. In one block, I quilted my initials in pink. After I finish putting the strips together and quilting the intersections, I'll sew the left and right side borders on and quilt them using "Borders Made Easy" paper. Then I'll decide whether the quilt needs another border or simply binding. It's about twin-sized now.
I'm squeezing this quilting activity into a very busy week, culminating in the library Friends book sale and Heritage Festival this weekend. Thursday we set up tables under tents provided by the National Guard, and a raft of pre-teens brought the books up from the library basement. Yesterday, I helped sell books for a few hours with Lois, who entertained me with stories about her family. We saw quite a few people we knew, too.

Paul and I had dinner last night under the Barre Ethnic Heritage tent - Vietnamese chicken salad, Mostaccioli with meat sauce, Tourtiere, and Pasta Frollo - to the sounds of French Canadian music in the park. Today I'll be with the Greater Barre Democrats in the parade and we'll indulge in street food before collapsing at home. Tomorrow we'll go to the open house at the Granite Museum. Phew!


No comments: