Friday, February 11, 2011

A busy week

The middle of the month always brings lots of activities for Paul and me. Last Tues. we each had two meetings, but fortunately his were in the morning and mine were in the afternoon and evening. We had pizza for dinner between my quilt show and library Friends meetings.

Plans for the Central Vermont Quilt Show May 6 and 7 are going well, and entries are beginning to come in. We are still tracking down vendors, but everyone is pitching in. The committee is also being really kind to me by taking on so many of the things I did the last two years (the first two of the show). It is pretty nice, just doing the webmaster and treasurer's duties. Because we realize May will be here before we know it, we are going to meet every other week from now on. That way, too, the meetings don't have to be as long.

The Friends of the Library's annual winter banquet and auction is Feb. 19, so we are hustling for auction items and volunteers. I made several follow up calls for items, and Karen, our librarian, and I organized the library's display case to hold some of them. Late this coming week, I'll put together the bid sheets, and we'll decide which things will go in the live auction and which will go "silent." Our old friends Pauline and Bob are planning to come up for the weekend, which is always fun. The menu is a gourmet Northern Italian one including wedding soup, salad with polenta croutons, chicken cacciatore, and tiramisu. Yum! The list of auction items will soon be on the library's website.

Wednesday morning, I went over to the Vermont Historical Society to help begin putting hanging sleeves on about 30 antique quilts that will be in this year's Vermont Quilt Festival. Last summer, when I helped with the quilt re-rolling project, we noted which ones had sleeves and which didn't. I also noticed that most of the ones with sleeves had them attached with a special cross stitch. But Mary, the registrar, says that a blind hem stitch will be fine and to make our stitches fairly large so that they could be removed if necessary. It was a really fun morning. The people - 5 volunteers and Mary - are all so nice, and the work is relaxed enough to chat while sewing. I especially enjoy talking with Sandy about her various quilting projects. She is great at redwork.

I finished sewing the binding down on my applique sampler and then did a little handquilting on the Red Red Robin quilt. Today I sewed the first side of the binding down to the back. Tomorrow I have a Town Democrats meeting in the morning and a Calico County Quilters meeting in the afternoon, along with guests coming for dinner. Next week should be quieter, and I'll get back to sewing.

No comments: