Sunday, April 24, 2011

Happy Easter!

When I was little and we had just arrived in the U.S. from Holland, I used to hear things on the radio or from other kids about various holiday traditions. I would pass this important information along to my mother. I remember telling her that she had to get us some Easter bonnets, even though I wasn't quite sure what a "bonnet" was. We didn't go to church, she said, so we didn't really need new clothes, and especially not hats. I did enjoy my Easter basket and coloring eggs, even though I didn't like hard-boiled eggs at all (I still don't much).

My mother used to say I could eat more candy than any kid without getting sick, but today I feel like I have OD'd on sugar. I made a key lime pie for dessert, and it was great! It followed a brunch casserole with sausage, eggs, and cheese along with watermelon and OJ. I'm not sure I'm going to eat much more today... except perhaps another slice of pie?

Growing up in Maryland, it was always hot on Easter, and we would wear sandals sometimes for the first time in the year. Here in Vermont, it is often quite chilly on Easter, and yesterday it even snowed a little. Today it's in the 50s, but in the holiday spirit, I did put my Birkenstocks on with socks. Spring's got to be just around the corner!

1 comment:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

Learn something new everyday - I didn't know you came from Holland! Happy Easter
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/