Wednesday, August 19, 2015

Sweltering and knitting

We are having the hottest days of the summer, and our window sills are being repaired and painted.  I feel very sorry for the guy doing it.  My sewing room air conditioner had to come out of the window for a few days, so I feel sorry for myself, too.  

No sewing for me, so I started knitting a pair of socks because I didn't want to move much.  I'm trying a new method, using two short sets of round needles.  I got the pattern out of a Debbie Macomber book called A Good Yarn.  Don't know how a near-beginner could actually take this on as it involves using fingering yarn and size 1 needles.  Well, I may finish in time for next winter, but I do love the yarn from Knit Picks. 

I have been putting together the blocks I have been working on all year through the Rainbow Scrap Challenge.  I had made so many (80?) that my project box wouldn't close anymore and  I realized the 9" blocks would make a pretty good-sized quilt, even without my least favorite colors - brown, gray, black.  I have four panels to put together - maybe - whenever the AC returns to the window of the sewing room.  My dilemma is whether I should attempt to quilt it in sections or sew all the sections together for longarming.  While I make up my mind, I am putting some borders together.

Cooler weather is in the forecast for tomorrow night - let's hope so!  Meanwhile, tomorrow we are heading to the Clark Institute of Art in Williamstown, Mass., to see a special Van Gogh exhibit.  Should be fun!


1 comment:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I keep telling myself that one day I will learn to knit socks and I don't - instead I found an etsy shop from Ireland that was selling hand knit socks for $12 a pair and I ordered myself several and they came quickly and after I washed and dried them (wool) they shrunk enough to fit my skinny feet just fine! so I'm happy -- wishing you a little cooler weather but I know your hot days do not generally last for days and days so you are lucky