Thursday, October 22, 2015

A new quilt in process

Can you imagine this quilt in purple, pink, and blue batiks?  It was on the cover of the October issue of American Patchwork and Quilting, and it's what I've been working on these days.  I'm calling it "Insane Squares" because there are a lot of 2" squares to be cut.  Even though some of it is strip pieced, those strips still need to be cut into 2" substrips.  It's turning out quite nice with a light fossil fern background.

The 16 blocks measure 16" and, believe it or not, there's sashing with cornerstones between them.  The result is that large expanse of white, perfect for showing quilting.  I don't have enough of any one fabric to make the solid border, but who knows?  I may just have to run out and get something.  Or maybe I'll use more of the fossil fern.  Some of the batiks came from a package of Tonga Treats and others came from another quilter in Australia in trade for postage in a swap.

As it grows, I'm thinking that perhaps I'll take it to a longarmer for quilting.  Hope that Lisa will be ready to take new quilts by the time it gets done.  It feels good to start and, hopefully, finish something in one stretch of time.  Many of my quilts are done in dribs and drabs over a year or so.  My Around the World blocks have been in a pizza box for months as they straggle in, and the fabric for the alternating snowball blocks also awaits.

1 comment:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

that will be a pretty quilt! I know what you mean about 2 inch squares for my postage stamp I am doing 1.5 inches and I will need to cut more as my variety of colors is starting to be not so good. I might spend some time on that today - I won't have a problem with variety as I have so many scraps but I intend to cut some others down to size for it as I don't feel like getting out the box of scraps that need to be pressed and cut - no I will take down a box that is already cut and cut them smaller!