Friday, October 21, 2016

In a holding pattern

I'm waiting for some backing fabric from Connecting Threads to arrive so I can package up the curved log cabin and mail it to the long arm quilter.  I probably won't see it for many months, but that will be OK.  I have the binding all made and ready to put on when it returns home.

My machine sewing has come to a bit of a standstill as my Elna is in the shop for a thorough cleaning.  I can get my old reliable Viking 100 out, but I have grown very attached to the quarter inch foot on the Elna for piecing.  And that's what I've been up to lately.  I'm making some scrappy 12" heart blocks for a swap.  Each block takes 36 2" squares, some of which are half-square triangles.  I got one put together and had the other seven in strips to be put together when my machine started making a high-pitched squeal.  I stopped and cleaned everything, checked the needle, and started sewing again.  It still didn't sound right, so I packed it up and took it to the shop.  Carl had told me when I bought it in the early summer that I should bring it in at the end of the summer.  So I guess this is the "end" of summer (ha!).

I have plenty of hand sewing to keep me busy while I wait for Elna to return.  Yesterday, I sewed the binding down on the little purple row robin (photo soon when the sun comes out).  There are a bunch of scrappy orange peel blocks ready to applique, and I should get back to hand quilting my Atlantic Flyway wallhanging.  It's the project I take to my occasional Saturday afternoon gathering of the Calico County Quilters.   And then there's that gray/pink lacy scarf I've been knitting for ages...

1 comment:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

and your blog post reminds me that I need to clean my Juki before I get going on any more piecing - it has been awhile - I like that I do not need to bring my machine in anyplace unless-- (just like a featherweight only much bigger!