Sunday, March 12, 2017

Just relaxing

We only have a few more days here in Fairhope, Alabama, before starting the four day trek back up north to Vermont.  How to best to "use" them?  Just by "chilling"!  I've been doing quite a bit of hand quilting on my Atlantic Flyway wallhanging.  I started hand quilting it on last year's visit, so it is time to get it finished.  I'm on the first side of the last border and doubt if it will be done by the time we get home.  But the closer I get to the end, the more motivated I'll be to finish.  Also, I'd like to get it all finished by April 8 when the guilds will be holding a Studio 180 class on that and another pattern.

But that's thinking ahead, and right now we live for today.  Friday was a lovely day, so we took a couple of walks, stopping at the Gumbo Shack for lunch.  The last time we were there, it was dark, so we didn't notice that they smoke their own meat.  My turkey sandwich was cut right from the bird - delicious.  We took some gumbo home for dinner, too.   I finished reading Fanny Flagg's latest novel (entertaining but a bit "meh") and started on letters of Elinore Pruitt Stewart, a woman homesteader in Wyoming in 1909-1911.  Fascinating and on my bucket list for a long time.

Yesterday was gloomy and called for another trip to the movies, this time to see Verdi's opera La Traviata live from the Met via simulcast.  At home we'd need to travel an hour or so to get there, making it a bit iffy to plan in winter.  But it would be worth doing a few times a year for such a unique opportunity.  The production was wonderful, and we enjoyed the backstage bits as well.  My mother, who has seen this particular production, wasn't wild about the modern staging - minimal in black/white/red accents - but we thought it helped focus attention on the main characters and music.

We woke up to rain, but after it clears we'll be back walking.

No comments: