Saturday, February 21, 2009

Downsizing = Work!

I forgot to mention that we are buying a condo, so the downsizing at Maplecroft has kicked into high gear. We went up to the new place to look around this week and to get an idea of what we should and shouldn't move. Wildersburg will be quite a change, but it will allow us to travel and do less home maintenance. The condo is 100 years younger than Maplecroft!

So the packing and sorting continues. Every day I find things that we don't need to move. Yesterday, after a trip to both the Salvation Army and the ReStore, I discovered a large turkey roasting pan, some bags of nails, a third tinsnip, a wooden bowl, more canning jars, and some plastic containers. I have started a fifth (or is it sixth?) pile of stuff for the S.A. in the dining room.

Freecycle has been a boon, too. We've given away 2 TVs, 2 beds (with another waiting in the wings), some chairs, a bookcase, and, I hope, the piano. The latter will have to be picked up when the snow leaves the front yard. When someone with an herbal school contacted me about chairs, I offered the large dining room table which will also have to wait for the snow to melt. I also offered our outdoor furniture to a friend who just moved. Chris took some wooden things to be burned in a friend's big stove, and last weekend we recycled a pile of dirty old paperbacks that had been in the tower. Slowly our excess is being cleared away.

Meanwhile, I've started an appliqued piece, finished this month's border on the guild's round robin, and plan to make a few blocks for the guild's library raffle quilt. Since most of my fabric has been packed and I need some white, I'll just have to buy a little piece of that and some '30s fabric. Hmmm... trip to Yankee Pride??

No comments: