Thursday, February 18, 2010

Asian Jane is on its way to Mary

After two years of playing with a lot of Asian prints in all colors and a whole lot of solid black fabric, my Asian Jane finally was finished yesterday, with the back pieced and the binding ready to go when it returns from the quilter. I love the back, a teal green Jinny Beyer print which will be yummy to sleep under. I took the quilt top to the guild meeting last night to prove I had completed another UnFinishedObject, and today I put the top and back in the mail. I don't expect to see it for many months as Mary is the owner of the Machine Quilters Expo and extremely busy. But her work is great - worth the wait. The big purple quilt is also in her capable hands.

At the guild meeting, a couple of my applique students brought their Works in Progress to show me, and they really were doing well. It was good to see what they'd done, each very different but very nice, too.

Right now I'm gathering things to show at a workshop I'm doing March 12 at the library. It's called "Repurpose your clothing," and I'll show items made of old t-shirts and blue jeans. I'm making a few potholders and place mats backed in blue jeans, and I have some rugs and tote bags to show. I think I'll demonstrate how I cut a pair of jeans apart to preserve its useful parts. I will also show how to cut up old t-shirts for yarn, and I have been knitting a few potholders and a rug with some yarn made with "Life is Good" t-shirts from the quilt I made Nancy before Christmas. If I was better at crocheting, I think I could make some very nice items. I will wear a jacket made out of a sweatshirt, too, so people can get an idea about that. There is never a dull moment in the life of a quilter!

No comments: