Friday, February 12, 2010

Asian Jane and Chinese banquet

I've been immersed in all things Asian this week. After two years, I am finally putting together all of the Dear Jane blocks I've made in Asian fabrics - some Chinese, some Japanese, all very pretty. Each block measures 4.5" finished, and the background fabric is solid black. The blocks are all different colors, but the color I used the most was, of course, purple. In making the 80 blocks, I focused on those I had not yet made in my blue/white, holiday, or thirties quilts. Jane Stickle made 144 blocks in her quilt, but I decided that if I don't stop now and put what I have together, I will never get around to it. There are still a dozen or so that I haven't tackled, so I'll have to start a new Jane when I finish putting this one together!

Asian prints tend to be bigger than most I have used before, and often the design got lost in the tiny blocks. To highlight those prints, I am making the triangle border out of solid black alternating with triangles cut from the 40 or so fabrics in the blocks. It is working out quite pretty indeed! After I put the borders on, I will add a solid black border, find some Asian fabric for the back, and send it to the long arm quilter, Mary in Wells River, to work her magic.

Tomorrow is the Friends of the Library's annual Chinese New Year's banquet and auction at the Knights of Columbus Hall. Our long-time friends Bob and Pauline, who usually visit us for Valentine's Day, will be joining us for the dinner and then going back to their lake house. Sandy and Polly are also coming, so we will have a jolly time. The Friends got a sneak preview of the menu, which includes some favorites of mine - dry-fried green beans and ice cream with ginger compote.

Paul and I are in charge of organizing the silent auction again this year and have been sifting through the donations, making up bid sheets, and helping our librarian decide which 12 items will go "live." We have some wonderful things this year, including lots of gift certificates to restaurants, unique art, some small Asian pieces, beautiful jewelry, tickets to sporting events and the Opera House. This community is amazingly generous. As one of the Friends' two big fundraisers each year, tickets for the dinner have been sold out for a week. It will be a scrumptious repast and fun for all!

1 comment:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I'm looking forward to seeing your Asian Jane.
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/