Sunday, January 31, 2010

Teaching applique

I had fun yesterday morning, teaching a class in beginning applique at A Quilter's Garden, our local quilt shop. After years of teaching library science, it was really nice to be "back in the saddle."

There were five students and they all arrived early with all of their supplies - ideal! The project we are working on is pictured at left, and people were encouraged to bring their own color ways. Several had found fabric that looked like baskets, and they all found the bias handle quite challenging.

The shop owner had misplaced my two samples (the other is in batiks) during a recent move, so I had to refer people to the tiny picture at the top of their supply list. I am making another block in black, white, and red, so will have that at a stage that I hope will help them visualize the project next week. I do hope the two samples I made will be found, though, because they will make nice tote bags.

This week, they are basting pattern pieces to freezer paper, making plastic circle templates, and sewing the handles down. Next Saturday, I'll demonstrate sewing the pieces down, removing the freezer paper, making circles using the plastic templates, and yo yos, both the old fashioned way and with the yo yo maker. If there's time, I'll show how to make those tiny dimensional flowers (backwards yo yos with embroidery floss - quite easy when you know how). I think my black and white sample will include a yo yo from my retirement stash by Sue, assistant librarian in Enosburg.

1 comment:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

sounds like you had fun! it is always nice doing something that you enjoy. hope the samples are found.
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/