Friday, December 10, 2010

Holiday prep in full swing

Yesterday I felt like I was really in the holiday spirit as I made 2 big batches of Chex mix. I have enough to make a third but I think I'll wait until after Chris' party on the 19th to see if I need more. Of course, we always need more Chex mix! Today I'm going to make some shortbread cookies using a recipe I saw in Martha Stewart's Everyday Food magazine. I like that little magazine for its simple, normal (not full of trendy ingredients), family-oriented recipes. Tomorrow, after I get some more shortening, I'll be making Karen's ginger cookies, too. They are the best we've ever eaten.

I washed the grizzly bear throw that I'm giving Chris for his graduation present yesterday. It turned out pretty good but I still need to put the label on. I only have one side left to sew on a binding for little quilt that I'm giving to charity and hope to have it done Tues. so I can give it to Kim to take to school. The little quilt top I started Sunday needs borders around its four sides and then can be quilted. I'm not sure whether to give it to the library to raffle off or to Kim for another needy child. I guess I'll wait and see how it turns out. I still have another batik top to quilt that could be raffled off. If it ever warms up, we'll take a few photos. Right now the thermometer is hovering around zero, after a -6 degree reading when we got up.

Paul and I took two more packages to the post office yesterday. So far, we've sent packages to Colorado, Wisconsin, Florida, New York state (2), New Jersey, Alabama, and the Netherlands. We'll be sending another one to Colorado after Chris finishes shopping. That will make 9 all together! Wish we lived closer to family. But at least doing all that mailing means getting shopping done early. I have most of mine done but still need to look for a few "stocking stuffers."

1 comment:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

sounds like you are about ready. I have more shopping to do but not a lot. More baking too, glad I put some of the cookies from yesterday in the freezer as the small bag I left out will be empty by tonight!
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/