Friday, December 24, 2010

Let the holidays begin

The area below the tree is overflowing, the table has its Christmas cloth on it, the tourtiere is defrosting, and we are ready. Even though I consider myself a non-believer, I still enjoy Christmas, the stories (even the religious ones), the lights, the food, and, especially, the music. There is no more beautiful piece than Handel's Messiah unless it is his Joy to the World. Handel was at his most optimistic and hopeful, and we need that perhaps more than ever now. I do miss my piano at this time of year. The classical radio station has been playing quite a bit of good music lately, and it's great to read, applique and knit to. That's what I'll be doing this afternoon.

This evening, Vicki, Samantha, Polly, and Chris will be coming for dinner - tourtiere, French Canadian pork pie, will be the main course. I have some rolls in the freezer to heat up, and Samantha is bringing salad. We'll have nibblies ahead of time and cake for dessert. Tomorrow, after Chris leaves for his friends, we will spend a quiet day, which will be fine. I will surely be talking with family members throughout the day, and the radio will be on.

It is beautifully sunny out, making the snow glisten. We always have a white Christmas here in Vermont. Best wishes to all who may read this!

1 comment:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

have a wonderful Christmas Marianne. I have mixed beliefs I guess you could say as I am a lapsed Catholic who hasn't stepped foot in a church in years (other than weddings and funerals) - I like the religious feelings of the holiday and think it has gotten too commercialized! I think you will need to post the recipe for the main course you are making - I have not heard of it and I am of French Canadian descent.
Have fun.
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/