Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Two finishes

The weather has been very iffy lately, so we have spent most of our time cozily indoors. It snowed hard Sunday morning and then started to rain, continuing into yesterday when we woke to temperatures in the upper 40's. At around noon, temperatures started to drop and it started snowing. For the second week in a row, I had to cancel my usual Monday night get-together with my friends Cindy, Sandy, and Polly due to bad driving. We had about 4" of snow when we got up this morning, and it was in the teens. Winter is back.


Yesterday, I made pancakes for breakfast - with Canadian bacon! - and we trimmed the tree. Then I got busy and finished sewing the binding down on a small quilt. I finished binding this one a few days ago and plan to give it to Kim tonight to take to school for a needy child. In our guild, we have a UFO challenge going, and this was one of them.

I also finished quilting and binding a "Wonky Cats" quilt over the weekend. It used a lot of scraps from a shoebox marked "cats" that I have been pulling from for years. I used scraps for the binding, too, and a large piece of blue plaid flannel that I've been dragging around for years for the back. In fact, I remembered that the flannel came from Gray's Dept. Store in Montpelier, so it has to be over 25 years old. Gray's hasn't been there for a long time and stopped selling fabric around the time Chris was born. Paul's sister Pat used to work there, and when we met years ago, I remembered her from Gray's.



Here is a closeup of the Wonky Cat quilt. Some of the fabrics are awfully cute, and I especially like that Laurel Burch blue fabric. Some child will enjoy this quilt. I am going to offer it to the library for the Friends Chinese New Year's Banquet and Auction in February.

1 comment:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

Wonky Cats is cute - the other one too. I need to get busy this year making a bunch of scrap quilts and get through some of this stash.
Karen
http://karensquilting.com/blog/