Sunday, May 18, 2014

An inspiring talk

Yesterday's spring meeting of the Green Mountain Quilters Guild featured a great speaker, Michele O'Neill Kincaid from New Hampshire.  She talked about how she evolved into an art quilter, beginning with a little patchwork doll quilt when she was 8.  She showed a quilt her grandmother made and, later, a reproduction she made of the same quilt.  My favorite in the vast array of pieces she showed was one of poppies.  The centers were heavily embellished with beads, and it was about 2' x 3'.  I would love to take a class with her and noticed she teaches something called "free form machine piecing."  Getting out of the usual linear quilting and doing more improvisational work would be fun and, I think, would appeal to members of our local guild. 

Besides the program and business meeting, we had a fabulous teacup auction.  My friend Carol who is moving to Pennsylvania had a vending table, and she very generously gave me a mountain of Christmassy batiks to go with ones I already have and some Indonesian fabrics.  I also bought half a bolt of lavendar print from her.  It will make a great back.

No comments: