Thursday, March 24, 2016

The new machine

After some testing in person and reading online, I settled on the Juki TL2010Q, and ordered it and a table from our local sewing machine shop.   I like the owners of the shop, Carl and Betty, and feel it's important to deal locally, not just for service and questions as they come up, but also to help our community.  Carl and Betty have vended at our local quilt show, and Betty belongs to one of my guilds.

On Monday, I had cleaned the room and rearranged things - exhausting work!   Paul and I picked the machine and table up yesterday, and then I set about learning how to use it.  What fun!  What frustration!  After learning to wind the bobbin and thread the machine (similar to the Mega Quilter I borrowed last fall), I tested all the feet.  Mostly, the machine runs smoothly and truly straight.  When you take your foot off the pedal, it stops immediately.  The automatic thread cutter is a dream, and the controls are easy to adjust.  But the walking foot goes ka-thunk, ka-thunk and I think there's something not quite right with it.  So I'll be visiting Carl either this afternoon or tomorrow to test it on his machine.  I also left the knee lifter thingie there by accident, so will pick that up.

This morning, I decided to work on one of my UFOs, and enjoyed myself immensely.  I decided to do some paper piecing as that is one of my least favorite chores.  With the automatic cutter, however, it goes quite easily, and I finished this pillow cover quickly.
It is my project for the guild gift bag challenge - we each received a gift bag (disguised in a brown paper bag) that is to inspire a project that fits inside.  A pillow is too big, so I just made a cover and will give it to my niece Caroline for her high school graduation this June.  It feels so good to finish something on this snowy day!

2 comments:

Wacky Woman said...

Very nice! Let us know how you like your new baby.

Marilyn

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

Same as mine! Wish I had a local dealer, I bought mine from a lady that had it shipped to her from Arizona so had to depend on her to tell me all about it - she never had the needle threaded figured out so neither do I - I found a video but have to keep watching it in slow motion to remember how to use it