Wednesday, January 4, 2017

Quilting on a budget

I am an incredible time waster, but who cares?!  I'm retired and ought to enjoy myself, I say.  I do get a lot done anyway, but in bursts of energy.  I need to take down the Christmas stuff, but always I do that gradually.  Yesterday it was everything that wasn't tree- or village-related.  Maybe tomorrow I'll do one or the other while the cleaning ladies are here.  Paul and I have been walking at the mall when the driving is OK, about five times a week.  We go around 8:30 and return home by 9:30 unless we have errands to run.  That's not a time waster, but it does take a chunk of time.

Yesterday, I finished pin-basting a small quilt to go to the Parkinson's Comfort Project and started quilting it.  It is made entirely of scraps except the back which is a large piece I bought on sale.  There's enough left to go on the back of the next quilt which is the last one hanging in the closet waiting for quilting.  I have several UFOs that are in process, so I expect my closet to fill up again during the year.

My resolution for the year is to use more fabric that I already have rather than to shop for it (even though I still have a $5 gift certificate to my LQS in my purse!).  This is one of the "rules" that Allison, who writes the Cluck Cluck Sew blog promotes this year.  You can read it all here, and it makes all kinds of sense, even though the first suggestion, not to read blogs, is a tough one.  I know they do give me ideas, but usually that's a good thing - I prefer ideas for scrappy quilts anyway, and I love to try new recipes.  The other day, though, I discovered some sets of charm squares, both 5" and 2.5", and hope to use them in 2017.  I don't know how long they've been hiding, but at least a year.


No comments: