Tuesday, November 14, 2017

Pre-holiday busy-ness

It seems "The Holidays" are almost upon us, and I don't feel ready.  It snowed yesterday - just big wet flakes, but enough to remind us that winter is on our doorstep.  I just planted spring bulbs last week!We put the bird feeders out, and I did some online gift ordering.  Some books just a few days ago have already arrived, and I'm expecting a few more packages soon.  Amazon is right on top of things (My NJ brother's company works for them, so I know they are!). 

I ordered three copies of one new Vermont title and then a few books that I have enjoyed this year for various relatives who seem to depend on our [retired librarian] suggestions.  I like to mail holiday packages out early - there are at least six each year - and that means anything I want to make for Christmas needs to be finished soon.

My WI brother (at left) has been in the hospital and rehab for three weeks, and I have been putting together recipes for a cookbook to give him this season.  He has diabetes and a number of other health issues, so I'm trying to concentrate on easy and healthy foods he can make after work or on weekends. 

He says he doesn't have time to cook so I'm including some things that can be made ahead and frozen, like the following chicken recipe.  I haven't made it for a while, so I tested my recipe the other night, and Paul pronounced it excellent.  Phew!  Here it is...

           
Amazingly Useful Chicken

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Lightly grease a baking pan with sides (I using a roasting pan).    Cut 2 large boneless, skinless chicken breast halves in strips and pile in the pan. Mix together:  

2 T. olive oil
2 t. chili powder
1 ½ t. cumin
½ t. garlic powder
½ t. oregano
¼ t. salt

Sprinkle over chicken.  Sometimes I prepare a while ahead and “marinate” the chicken in this mixture for a while.  In a bowl mix:

One or two green or red peppers, cut in strips
One sliced medium onion
Any other vegetables you would like (zucchini, green beans, etc.)

Pour into pan and mix with the chicken.  Bake 20-25 min., stirring once or twice, until chicken is done.  Serve hot or cold, over rice, on top of a tossed salad (like taco salad), or in taco/fajita shells.


Along with the cookbook, I've ordered him some cooking utensils and will make him a couple of new potholders using orphan quilt blocks.  Other than that, I'm not planning to sew any more gifts for Christmas, but those are famous last words!


1 comment:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I do chicken like that to -and if he doesn't have the spices try Kraft sun dried tomato salad dressing or Italian to marinate (if he can have that)