Sunday, November 5, 2017

Westview Meadows show

A few months ago, a former neighbor who has since moved to a senior residence with assisted and independent living asked me to display my quilts in their gallery space.  While my brother Axel was visiting, he helped me choose some of the quilts, but the space turned out to be a little longer than we had figured.  The quilts are to be up throughout November and December, and Paul, Chris, and I hung them last Thursday.  It all went rather quickly because of their nifty hanging system which is meant for paintings but works well for quilts, too.  Here are the photos I took with my phone.

In a little seating alcove, we hung the Australian Christmas quilt made with fabrics sent by some Aussies in a swap.  I used the fabrics in a row by row swap to surround a panel of floral wreaths.  I love the subtle colors.  I had brought some Christmas stockings for the show, which we looped over the ends of the rods.  Next came The Blue Bird of Happiness which usually hangs over our guest bed in my sewing room.  It's adapted from an Edyta Sitar design.


To the right of these there's a little jog in the wall with a small wool appliqued vase of flowers which I forgot to photograph.  Then there's a long wall with all the rest of the quilts - Bloom Where You're Planted, E Pluribus Unum (Out of Many, One), Civil War Sampler, and Atlantic Crossing.  The latter I just finished hand quilted (after two years!) a couple of weeks ago.  It's a Deb Tucker design.  You can see one of the residents taking a closer look at it - using some of the white gloves I brought along for just that purpose.  I was worried about touching because the gallery space opens out into the dining room where oil, chocolate, and other stains might be lurking.

I'm so glad we managed to get the exhibit up quickly, and I'll be doing a short presentation at the center in December.  Here's another photo of Atlantic Crossing.
I love making those "migrating geese"!

No comments: