Friday, June 8, 2018

Antelope Canyon

My online quilting friend Linda showed a photo of a quilt she finished, and I loved it.  Linda said she'd never make it again so gave me the pattern, called Antelope Canyon, by Laurie Shiffrin.  Hoffman has a cutting diagram for a different colorway, and Shiffrin has two color ways on her blog.  I had bought some black fabric last summer at our local quilt shop where the owner gives a birthday discount of half our age.  That's a great deal when one is approaching 70!

My quilt, which I started last Saturday, has bright colors on the black background.  Of course, I didn't have enough of last summer's black, so I bought a few yards of another black last week.  And the bright colors come from two jelly rolls I bought on sale from Craftsy.  It's from the Lily and Loom One Farmers Market line.

The work was definitely in the cutting, and I had to keep the strips organized with sticky notes on each set.  Some are 2.5" wide and some are 1.5" inches wide, which makes the curves once put together.   I removed one print because it was a dull gray and substituted a couple of leftover scraps from the jelly rolls.

The sewing is fairly straight-forward once everything is cut and marked, but the last rounds involve fairly long seams.  I know this because I had to take one set of four seams out and move them around 90 degrees.  I knew if I didn't, it would bother me forever.  

The finished size is about 75" x 75".  There are only four huge blocks which, close to the end, are a little difficult to handle with the small design wall I have.  So I have stacked them on the bed as I attach each round.  Only two and a half rounds to go.    Hope to finish today or tomorrow - I have a lot to do before my mom and sister arrive in a couple of weeks.  

No comments: