Sunday, June 10, 2018

Plans for June-July

I usually keep a mental list of quilting plans and, with my mother and sister Jenny coming in a couple of weeks, I have been cleaning up the quilting/guest room and thinking about what I'm going to do this summer.  On hot days, I stay right in the quilting room with the AC on.

I want to make new curtains for the bathroom and have had a nice soft purple cotton since before our May 1 guest arrived.  "Life" keeps getting in the way, but we really need to replace the rain-spotted curtains we have.  I also want to make a new bathmat and saved out two purple pieced heart blocks from the heart quilt I made just for this purpose.  I think these were swap blocks from Debbie in Indiana, and the swap was ages ago!  I have a fat quarter set aside to go between the blocks and will also use scraps from the curtains.

Next on my agenda should be putting together the Ohio Star blocks I received in a guild swap.  There are 21, in all different colors, and the best setting may well be on-point with a deeper beige between each block and along the outside.  I have a tough time with on-point settings, but maybe this time I will master the math of the outside triangles.  The blocks are now in a project box, just waiting for Jane's 3 blocks and the setting fabric.  Interestingly enough, Paula told me this setting is what she's thinking about, too.  She and I have very different tastes, so I'm curious to see what she does.

My 70th birthday is at the end of July, and I would like to make a 71st year quilt with one or two 6" blocks each week.  I hope they will say something about my life or even what I might have done that week.  I have a copy of Pat Sloan's The Splendid Sampler and am following her Splendid Sampler 2 online along with Moda Blockheads 2 for block ideas.   Another project box has shirtings for the backgrounds all ready for whenever I feel like starting.

Then there are two hand projects - sewing yoyos onto black or white squares for the state quilt guild and a wool appliqued vase of flowers.  Both are nice for cooler summer days on the back porch.

No comments: