Sunday, November 25, 2018

Holiday cooking

I'm going to try to cut back on holiday baking this year.  We don't need all those yummy extra calories, and I have plenty of quilting and reading to keep me occupied instead.   I do plan to make Karen G.'s ginger cookies because it wouldn't be Christmas without them.  And I hope to try making a Dutch "tulband," a bundt-shaped fruit cake.

But yesterday I couldn't resist making some Passion Pear Jam because our jam reserves seem to be running low and I wanted some for gift giving.

I do love the colors of home made jam as the jars are all lined up and cooling.  My former mother-in-law used to make this along with her world famous spiced pear, but I never asked her for the recipe.   Luckily, my Canadian quilting friend Karen H. had one to share.  Passion Pear has an orange, a lemon, some chopped maraschino cherries, and a can of crushed pineapple along with the pears, to give it that lovely color like marmalade.  I have Mom C.'s spiced pear recipe and made some last fall, but when I went into the cupboard to put this batch away, I noticed only one strawberry and one spiced pear in reserve.  Looks like I'd better make a little more jam after the holidays. 

1 comment:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

each year I say less baking and although I try it seems like there is just as much as always. There are just so many cooky recipes that we like and they don't make just six cookies it is always several dozen and some recipes are hard to cut down. This year Melanie and Aniya will come over around the second week of December and we have a day of making cookies and I will just have to make sure I have a couple large tins to fill up and have them take home. They always take some home but it will have to be more. This started out as a day for Aniya to learn how to make cookies other than slice and bake which is all she sees at home - now it is a tradition and we make several kinds.