Monday, December 24, 2018

Christmas Eve!

Best wishes for a very Merry Christmas / Prettige Kerstfeest!  Today, after  Paul's post-surgery visit with the doctor, I'll be making a traditional French-Canadian tourtiere (meat pie) for dinner and a Dutch kersttulband for dessert.  The tulband is rich fruitcake that looks like a turban, but I'll use a bundt pan instead since that's the pan I have.  This will be my first try at this Dutch specialty.  I don't think we ever had one when I was growing up so it will be interesting to try.  

I have perfected the recipe for tourtiere over the years to approximate the pies I used to get from my former secretary, Mary.  She and her husband used to make them to sell every year, and after I requested a smaller size for me, they started making that size also.  After he passed away, the recipe was lost, so I tried a variety of spices before I got what I think is close to the original.

Tourtiere – French Canadian Meat Pie

A Barre classic, especially around the holidays.

Prepare a 2 pie crust and put the bottom crust into a pie pan.  I use refrigerated pie crusts and usually roll them out a little more before putting them into the pan.

In a skillet, break up 1 lb. ground pork (or a mix of beef and pork) and combine with:
            ½ c. water
            2/3 c. minced onion
            1 clove garlic, minced
            1 t. salt
            ½ t. thyme
            ¼ t. allspice
            ½ t. sage
            ¼ t. dry mustard
            ¼ t. ground cloves
            1/8 t. pepper
Bring all to a boil, reduce to medium low, and cook for about 25 min., stirring periodically.

Meanwhile, boil two small potatoes, skinned and chopped.   When cooked, mash and add to the meat.  There should be about a cup.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  
Place the meat mixture into the pie crust and top with the other layer of crust.  Crimp edges and cut a few slits in the top.   Beat an egg with 1 t. water to make an egg wash for the top of the pie.  At this point, you can freeze the whole thing, but defrost before baking.

Bake for about 45 min. or until crust is golden.  Serve with rolls and a salad.  


1 comment:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

that sounds interesting, I hope your fruitcake turns out too - Merry Christmas