Sunday, May 19, 2019

Splendid Sampler / Dear Yve

I have only two blocks left to applique for my year-long Dear Yve sampler quilt based on The Splendid Sampler books 1 and 2, by Pat Sloan and Jane Davidson.  It's been fun, but it is time to sash the last two months, quilt those sections, and put all 12 sections together with a border.  I'm hunting for a quote to quilt into the border along with Yve's name and dates.

There will be 144 6" blocks when it's finished, and this quilt incorporates some of the fabrics Yve gave me (she was my best customer, not that I have too many) along with lots and lots of scraps from my stash.   I used a lot of low volume backgrounds, too.  Yesterday I emptied the project box, returning larger background pieces to their respective color boxes and cutting the smaller scraps into 2" and 2.5" squares, a few triangles, and some strings.

I will be needing some of those pre-cut pieces for Jen Kingwell's My Small World which I have been gearing up for.  I don't plan to spend a year working on it - it's a wallhanging.  I have been looking at quite a few renditions of the pattern on Pinterest and see that it's another scrappy sampler.  I've cut some of the 500+ 1.5" sky squares already, and gathering some fabrics.  I will replace the factory buildings with granite sheds, I hope, and include a few other things to make it represent my world here and there.

Meanwhile, I'm anticipating receiving a variety of black and white charm squares, various 12" blocks, and some double churn dash blocks through swaps in the coming months.  I'll also be taking a class at the Vermont Quilt Festival.  More UFOs!

1 comment:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I have seen a lot of Jen Kingwell's pattern on pinterest and blog land - have fun with yours