Wednesday, September 11, 2019

Insul-brite

Every year, I make little gifts for the library staff to give them at the Friends and trustees' annual appreciation dinner before Christmas.  Gifts have included mug rugs, key fobs, and more.  This year I've made small jars of jam and potholders.  The latter are very scrappy, using orphan blocks and fabric from stash.  Last weekend, I put together 15 8" blocks and 10" backs and, yesterday, quilted most of them together.  I also made a large poinsettia hotpad to sell in my etsy shop.

Unfortunately, I only had enough insul-brite to finish off 12 potholders.   So yesterday I headed off to Joann Fabrics for more.  Much to my disgust, they no longer carry any Warm Company products, including Warm & Natural batting and Insul-brite.  The clerks in the store are very dismayed about this; customers regularly complain.  I didn't want to try the Pellon alternative they carry - some sort of gray insulated fleece.  I don't want some of the potholders to look different, and how will that stuff quilt?

My order from Amazon.com will be here in a few days, luckily, and meanwhile I have plenty of cotton batting, both Pellon and Quilters Dream, to work on other projects while I wait.  Hope to get My Small World sandwiched this afternoon, after I make banana bread.

No comments: