Thursday, November 14, 2019

Finishing frenzy

Winter is truly here now with the snow we got Monday/Tuesday and bitter cold temperatures that accompanied it.  But as long as we have heat and electricity, I am happy to be stuck at home.   I finished a quilt top and a rather complex (for me) purse over the last few days.

First, the purse.  It required a few trips to Joann Fabrics prior to the snow days because I needed large pieces of fusible fleece, fusible interfacing, hardware, and longer red zippers than I had on hand.  I also bought a bunch of Minnie Mouse fabric via etsy.  I rarely buy novelty fabrics, but my Dutch niece Susan is worth it.  She loves all things Disney and just got back from her honeymoon at Disney World.  The Lazy Girl "Lexi" pattern works well if you follow the directions carefully (this took me 8 hours to make).   It was still a pain to turn right side out, but the result is a solid bag with lots of pockets and room inside with pink Minnie fabric.  This is the back, and the front features an outside zippered pocket.  
I had thought to make my mom a similar bag, but out of an Indonesian batik - I'll wait til after Christmas to work on that.

This fall I participated in the NQC (National Quilting Center?) Happy Block swap, a one-on-one swap.  Linda from Florida was my partner, and every week for four weeks we would each make two of the same blocks and mail them to each other.  I chose a red, white, and black colorway while she chose pink, light green, and cream.  We each ended up with nine 15" quilt blocks (actually, she made me an extra that will go on the back).  The last week was a bonus week during which we made a 9th block.  My top is now finished, using a "circle of nines" setting.
Most people set their blocks with sashing and cornerstones, but I wanted a little larger top.  Mine is 65" x 65" which is a nice size for a throw.   I will use Linda's extra block on the back which will most likely be scrappy.

I sold a scrappy Christmas stocking via etsy and am now sorry I didn't make more.  Well, there's always next year.  On to the next UFO!


2 comments:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

the bag is cute, I rarely make them - all that hardware I guess I do have a new book on some patterns for them thought so might try one day

Unknown said...

As reported by Stanford Medical, It's really the SINGLE reason this country's women get to live 10 years more and weigh 42 lbs lighter than we do.

(Just so you know, it has NOTHING to do with genetics or some secret exercise and absolutely EVERYTHING to do with "how" they eat.)

BTW, What I said is "HOW", and not "what"...

CLICK on this link to find out if this little quiz can help you decipher your true weight loss possibilities