Thursday, December 30, 2021

Down to the wire

With year's end approaching, I did finish two more quilts in the last few days - Harriet's Journey and the scrappy big block sampler.  Both turned out great.  Harriet's Journey was long arm quilted by my friend Marie in a floral pattern, and I quilted the other sampler myself in sections using my trusty Elna.  Both bindings were sewn by machine.  

Unfortunately, it's been too gloomy to take pictures.  We've had the living room lights on for days.  And there is no sun in the forecast!  It's been warmer here lately which usually is a sign that it's going to snow.  Luckily, we haven't had a whole lot, but the weekend sounds a bit promising (or ominous, depending on your point of view).   If the sun ever comes out, I'll get Paul to hold the quilts while I stand in the snow to take some pictures.

Meanwhile, what to do next?  I made some miscellaneous blocks the other day but think I'll start working on the Bonnie Hunter Unity quilt which I'm doing as a quilt along with my friend Joanne.

This is Laurie's quilt in greens, blue and yellow.  It inspired us to organize the quilt along with other guild members.  We'll do a section every month.

The original is red, dark blue and aqua.  I have chosen bright yellow, navy, and light blue with scrappy background fabrics.  I'm anxious to start because the center looks intimidating with all those chevrons.  The last time I made a quilt using chevrons - for another Hunter mystery - I made them too small and had to make 100 more to fit!  I will try not to repeat that mistake again.

I'll be making a special, Indonesian dinner for New Year's Eve, and hope to Zoom with Mom and sister Jenny over the weekend.  Best wishes for a very happy New Year!  

1 comment:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

I hate it when pieces turn out too small. I find it very hard to get pieces the right size, I do all the right tricks,measure the quarter inch and mark it on the machine, scant sewing etc and still rarely turns out perfect