Wednesday, August 3, 2022

Busy times

This past weekend was the annual Barre Heritage Days celebration, although we haven't had it since 2019 due to the pandemic.  The Friends of the Library always has a big book sale on the library's side lawn, so that's where I was Thursday, Friday, Saturday, and Monday morning.  I got a few steps in during set up and clean up, that's for sure.  We had paperbacks and children's books under tents outside and adult hardcovers inside where it was air conditioned.  It wasn't too hot out, but it was nice to go in once in a while to cool off slightly.  We had a couple of rainy times on Friday, even though none were expected, but, thanks to the tents, very little got wet.  The whole operation took about 25 volunteers, so yesterday I wrote a thank you to the community to post on Front Porch Forum.  It is amazing how many people pitch in to make all the components of Heritage Days a success.

On Friday night, our friends Pauline and Bob came over from Burlington to join in the fun, and we all had dinner under another big tent on the library's front lawn.  The menu included chicken and mostaccioli, the typical Barre Italian dinner.  Saturday, I managed to escape the sale for a while to go to Lenny's Shoe Outlet tent sale, but, luckily, I didn't buy anything.  I visited some of the community groups' booths and bought some samosas for lunch at one of the food vendors.  After clean up on Saturday, though, I was definitely done and ready to stay home for a while.

On the home front, not a lot of quilting took place and just a little knitting.  I am nearly finished with the green shawl and have some yarn ready to start to learn how to knit socks.  

Our vacuum cleaner was in the shop and the laundry piled up.  This week I'm catching up with housework and freezing blueberries from our bushes and some Chris brought from his boss's bushes.  I even made a blueberry buckle - yum!  The cherry tomatoes are coming in, and the day lilies are looking superb, despite a definite lack of rain.  We'll be heading to Wisconsin next week, so there's quite a bit of pre-trip stuff to keep me busy in spite of the heat and humidity that's predicted.

1 comment:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

sounds like you had a great time at the library festival - I had to look up your Italian dish - I never really paid attention to the name of the pasta - but I have used that shape but always call it penne not really noticed that one pasta has ridges and the other doesn't.
blueberries sound good! have a good trip to Wisconsin - I have actually kind of missed not going there since Jessica moved away from that state we always loved Madison and surrounding areas - we went the summer before Covid started I believe - I know it was to our grandson's high school graduation and I am pretty sure that was right before that started.