Sunday, October 30, 2022

A day at home

It's been a busy week, and it is very nice to have a day at home.  I did two loads of wash, took two walks with Paul - it's gorgeous out - baked a loaf of bread, read a little, and made some of my grandmother's beef stew.  It's called Hache and is a simple stew of beef and spices - bay leaf, boullion, cloves, and red wine vinegar.  It's usually served with mashed potatoes and a vegetable or over rice with a vegetable.  I'll make the mashed potatoes tonight and maybe the rice another night.

Yesterday's state quilt guild meeting was good although the turnout was a bit lighter than we'd hoped.  The short demos seemed like just the right program, and they covered Manx quilting, English paper piecing, flange bindings, and fabric covered coiled rope mats and baskets.  

Even though I knew how to do the last two and have tried EPP, it was good to get some new tips and hints.  The way Wendy fussy cut her shapes for EPP using Tula Pink's method was just amazing, but I'm not sure my eyesight will let me do much.  The Manx quilting with the big stitches seems more my speed, so I'll give it a try soon. 

1 comment:

Karen - Quilts...etc. said...

that beef stew sounds good I will try it. Sounds like something I make with beef tips and put over potatoes.
Sounds like you learned a bit at the show