Monday, October 17, 2022

Fall's next phase

 

We made another trip to Green Mount Cemetery Thursday to find what we hoped were the last three monuments for Paul's book.   Unfortunately, we had to return on Saturday for two more.  I help with the GPS coordinates, and he photographs them.  As I told my mom, you have to be a mountain goat to roam around that place.  Thursday was a warmish but gloomy day, but sometimes that makes the waning foliage shine better.  

It rained Friday and was windy, too, so I many leaves started falling and the colors began to fade.  The tour buses and RVs started moving south, following the color.  Our restaurants will again have room for us.  They had been posting on Facebook that they were booked up - which is good - but cautioning locals that they might have to eat at the bar after long waits.  The restaurant at the country club closed until spring over the weekend.  We like to go there to eat on the patio and look at the scenery but didn't get a chance this summer.

Soon it will be "stick season" in these Green Mountains.  We are hoping for a winter getaway, after three winters at home.   We're not sure how far south we'll go yet or even when we'll head that direction.  Our road trip this summer made us realize how much nicer it is to drive than to fly.  We enjoy seeing new places and having food and gear along.

Meanwhile, I've been cleaning up the quilting room for a guest arriving today.   Whenever this happens, I turn my attention to handwork and knitting.  I'm halfway through knitting a striped scarf and almost finished appliqueing melons in a starburst pattern onto a string pieced background for a wallhanging.  Maybe I can finish that this week.   I'm in a bit of a holding pattern until the next issue of Quiltmaker arrives with the last "clue" for the mystery quilt.  Austen Jubilee is my biggest UFO from 2021-22.


No comments: