Tuesday, November 15, 2022

Already sick of holidays!

I'm just going to say it out loud:  I am rapidly getting tired of the hype surrounding Thanksgiving, and soon I will feel the same way about Christmas.   Who cares if we have the "perfect" holiday?  My in-box is full of recipes, ideas for decorating, even suggestions on dining table conversations.  Ugh!

Some folks have a lot of relatives nearby, but I imagine there are plenty of people like me who don't.   Most of my adult life has been spent "celebrating" major holidays with one or two other people, often a small boy who didn't care for most foods except fish sticks and hot dogs.  

When my brother Rob was single, he would drive up from New York City to spend holidays with us if his job didn't keep him home.   Other times, I shared a meal with a friend or two.  When Paul's mother was alive, we would have a houseful of family, and Paul's niece Amy always made the turkey and trimmings.  And my friend Cindy who used to be my nextdoor neighbor often joined us.  She now lives in California, and I still miss her and the pies she used to bring.  (They came from a local restaurant - delicious.)

The displays in the stores make me feel even Scroogier.  Lots of displays of stuffing and gravy, huge turkeys to be defrosted, and cranberries everywhere.   I don't generally make much food for three - Paul, son Chris and me.  But I do try to make something special for Thanksgiving.  This year's menu will include a pork loin roast wrapped in bacon.  Then potatoes, mashed or au gratin, and vegetables, peas most likely, although I'd love some red cabbage (not Chris' favorite although his palate has improved beyond fish sticks).  Maybe squash since I have three waiting in the garage.  For dessert?  Not sure yet.  But I am sure some email or other will spark an idea.  It needs to be lactose free for Chris, and there's a creamsicle pie I've been wanting to try, made with cool whip and orange jello.   Maybe I'll just run down to Cindy's old haunt and get an apple pie...

Phew!  I feel better now that I've got that off my chest.  Hope you are keeping your spirits up this holiday season.  You'll probably be hearing more groaning from me as Christmas rolls around.

No comments: